Monday, February 11, 2008

Persepolis was pretty neat.



I watched Persepolis this past Thursday evening. I was still too sick to go out-out and I had wanted to watch it for some time now. It had been released for a while now, but sadly, it takes Texas a month or two to get movies that were already released in other parts of the country.

It wasn’t necessarily a let down per se. I suppose my overly excited emotions and the hype I had built up from the trailer and reviews led me to believe it was going to be a 5 out of 5 stars movie. Don’t get me wrong, it was still very enjoyable and a cute version of the Iranian revolution. I give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars. I mean it wasn’t a “Step up 2 the Streets” or anything but I would still recommend for the public to see.



Marjane Satrapi shares her story of growing up in Tehran and moving around. While the first half of the movie is very entertaining and kept me wanting to know more about Marjane, the second half of the movie was much slower and her character arc seemed to drag. But alas, I still enjoyed it overall. Marjane said in an interview that this movie was to help people understand her people.
"’What we wanted to say is, if these people
[Iranians, Muslims] scare you, look closer: They
have parents, they have lovers, they have hope,
they have stories; The only real divide in this world
is between the idiots and non-idiots.’"

Apparently they’re making an English dubbed version with Sean Penn, Iggy Pop, and Gena Rowlands as voice overs.

No comments: